B-Series Mold Stacks
The B-series mold has only one parting line. This mold base is not well suited for automatic operation. The “B” series mold is less expensive than the “A” series mold.
B-Series Mold Description
Description: (2-plate) molds
Typically called an “open & shut” tool, there is one parting line where the runner and part(s) are ejected. Cores and cavities are typically cut into the “A” and “B” plates. Frequently used when a single cavity is desired. Generally considered less expensive than “A” series.
A single plate is used to satisfy both clamping and cavity core retention. Heavier “A” and “B” plates allow for easier cooling line and sprue bushing location.
- (+) Lowest cost tool type
- (+) Large gate required
- (+) Simple design and construction
- (+) Low maintenance (tool durability)
- (-) Requires sprue/runner/gate (cycle time)
- (-) Sometimes runner must be separated from parts
- (-) Not well suited for automation
- (-) Insert changes difficult
Page 4 of 7