Vanadium is a bright white, soft, ductile metallic element found in several minerals. Vanadium has good structural strength and is used in rust resistant high-speed tools.
Effect of Vanadium in steel alloys
Vanadium helps to impart a fine grain structure to steel which increases the strength of the material. Vanadium is also used to stabilize carbon and as a bonding agent in steel alloys.
- (+) Increases tensile strength.
- (+) Increases wear resistance.
- (+) Helps in heat treatment.
- (+) Increases toughness.
- (+) Increases shock resistance.
- (+) Increases fatigue resistance.
- (-) Vanadium is relatively expensive.
Page 11 of 30